- Biology review including DNA, proteins, cells, tissues and structures
Lab 1: DNA Extraction
Lab 2: Enzyme action
- Light basics including electromagnetic spectrum lasers, their safety and operation, health physics
Lab 3: Refraction, Total Internal Reflection and Power Measurements Lab
- Geometric Optics
- Sensor Fundamentals — CCD Basics
- Light Tissue Interaction including reflection, refraction, absorption and scattering
Lab 5: Pulse-Oximeter, Temperature Sensor, Fat Analyzer
Lab 4: Microscope Principles
Upon successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Explain the structure of DNA and its function.
- Explain the structure of a cell, its components and functions.
- Operate a low-power laser safely.
- Explain the difference between laser light and ordinary light.
- Describe the rectilinear propagation of light including microscope principles.
- Explain how light interacts with living tissues via reflection, refraction, absorption and scattering.
- Laboratory (Student must take and achieve 100% on a laser safety exam before entering the laser laboratories.)
- Internet Research