- Topical outline as laser characteristics
- Helium-neon (He:Ne) laser
- Argon-ion laser
- Solid state characteristics
- Neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet (Nd:YAG) laser
- Continuous-wave (CW) and pulsed beam diagnostics
Upon successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Assemble, align and make operational a continuous-wave (CW) helium-neon (He:Ne) laser from parts.
- Align and make operational both an argon-ion and a neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG) laser.
- Discuss operational characteristics of gas and solid state lasers.
- Perform beam diagnostics on available lasers.
Evaluations and Final Grade
Students are given three projects (three non-operational lasers).
- The first laser the student makes operational is a “C” for the course.
- If the student makes two lasers operational (non-order specific), the student receives a “B” for the course.
- A student will receive an “A” for the course if all three lasers are made operational.